Monday, September 15, 2008

What We Learned Last Night....

That we are highly unprepared for the power to go out for an extended period of time. Yesterday Tropical Depression Ike came through Ohio. Now my area was lucky, we only got the high winds....no rain. The wind kicked up after dinner and was impressive to watch. As we drove home, it pushed the car around and several times cars had to drive around tree branches. We had no sooner got in the house and started picking up the yard furniture that the power went out. Evidently two transponders blew. Yippee! I knew where the candles were and where the lighter was. One major problem...the lighter didn't work. And we couldn't find any other lighters or matches at that point in time in the dark. Greg also needed batteries for the radio so he could listen to the Steelers game (and to a lesser degree for the weather report). We couldn't find any batteries for the radio so Greg headed back out to the corner store for batteries, a new lighter, and a flashlight. While he was gone, I got out Toby's cluck cluck chicken flashlight to look for some matches that I knew were somewhere. I found some in Godfather's office....THANK YOU Godfather...and began lighting the candles. When Greg came home with batteries, we got the radio to work and we remembered where one of our flashlights was that wasan't burned out. So what we learned...I have to go shopping so I can make a power outage kit. And I need a couple better flashlights, because cluck cluck chicken flashlight isn't the best. lol

The power came back on in the middle of the night. And upon surveying the damage in the daylight....there are tons of leaves and sticks all over my yard and a few branches here and there but no down trees...which is really amazing because I have a ton of trees and some are not in good condition.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I learned that same lesson a couple months ago when we lost power...now, have I done anything since. Regretably...no! I do know where all the flashlights are though. Losing power is never fun...glad it came back on relatively quickly.

Our Family of 5 said...

Tina!
I am totally feeling you! My comment to hubby was this "This is the 2nd time something major has happened and we were NOT prepared" First being the power outage on the East Coast and then this. We had so many winds it was scary. Thank god we had no damage but the kids schools were cancelled for the day. So, Tomorrow Sophia and I are off to the store to get flashlights, candles and batteries. We had no radio so had to listen to the steelers/browns game via the van in the garage.

Kristen Anne said...

What is it with you and "I" storms?!?!

Anonymous said...

Yep our lights were out for a half hour or so..and in the morning it was a mess in peoples yards and on the road...My hubby only missed alittle of the game his beloved browns lost!!!

Where in ohio do you live? We are in the Cleveland area!

Hugs,Leslie