Friday, August 15, 2008

FFF: WAY off topic

Today's FFF was Back to School, but since neither one of my kids are school aged and I'm still opting to stay at home instead of teach....I went WAY off topic. Yesterday was move in day for my grandmother's furniture. After she passed away, her children took what they wanted but that still left quite a bit of furniture. Since just about everything in this house is Godfather's not mine...I made the statement that if no one else wanted them I would love them. So we got a new to us bedroom set sans the bed (it went to my brother, mine is perfectly fine) and a new to us dining room table and chairs. Secretly the whole time I was hoping that no one wanted her hutch. See it was the one item that never changed in her living room. It was there for all my 29 years and more. It was Grandma's house and I loved it! And no one else layed claim to it, so I got it too. And you know what it is my favorite piece out of everything I have of hers. It's right up their with the little golden money tree and the humingbird windchime that I also got to keep. Sure I have some of her linens and a few pieces of her "china" but the money tree and the windchime are the best. As a child I always stood at the hutch and gazed in at all of Grandma's treasures and I always loved the little tree. I loved how it shined. And as for the windchime...when I first moved out of my parents house it was to my Great Uncle's garage apartment right behind my grandma's house. We spent plenty of time together sitting around talking and she always asked me to fix the windchime because it tangles like crazy. Even after I moved out I always checked to make sure it wasn't tangled. And you know as we sat around her house after she passed I untangled it one more time for her. Now it hangs on my front porch to greet me. I know that it is just stuff but it is stuff that brings back good memories everythime I look at it.

I took some pictures yesterday of us waiting for the movers, some of while there were here, and some at dinnertime. I hope you enjoy them. And when the rooms are set up exactly how I want them...I'll show you some pictures of the new to me furniture. Oh and thanks for bearing with me through this post.



Click to play Fun Day
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

PS: The new and improved Lili Cakes Bowtique will be up and running sometime next week so keep an eye out. and chck out the new look at http://lilicakes.blogspot.com

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, how exciting but hard that must have been!! After my grandparents passed away, I was thrilled with many of the memory pieces I was able to keep!

Kelly said...

Really cute pics and I totally think its so neat that you got to have that stuff. I love the chime story! Hugs

Debbie said...

When my grandparents passaed away I loved the treasures I have of them. My Grandmother's sewing maching and my other grandmother's silverwear. I love things like that!! Enjoy!!

Debbie

Kim & Dave said...

Such precious pics, Tina!

Thanks for sharing the memories. You know, when you go into detail about the windchime, I can almost see you standing there as a kid, gazing at it....

One Busy Momma said...

So happy you were able to get things that meant so much to you! My grandmother is still alive, but She has already given me some wonderful furniture of hers.

Robyn said...

How cute!!

Robyn

Our Family of 5 said...

That is just awesome! And what great things to hand down to your kiddos!