Saturday, February 6, 2010

I Can't Believe...

it's been two years already. It seems like yesterday that I was saying good-bye to Toby and Greg and setting off to Guatemala to pick-up Liliana. I got there early that day thinking that I could get Lili sooner. Ha! I had to wait 4 hours for them to bring her. As soon as I said "Hola, mi hija" she started to cry. The nanny tried for 45 minutes to get her to calm down, finally the coordinator told her just to give Liliana to me. She cried for another hour until she exhausted herself and fell asleep on my chest. She was a mess, after all that she had been through, even at 8 months, she could not trust. Everyone said what a good baby she was and I had to tell them that good was no what I wanted. I wanted her to be able to be herself, she was SO scared.

And then there was the whole Embassy mess that held us up in country for 12 days instead of 5 and had us calling senators, congressmen, and who ever else would listen just to be able to bring Lili home. It was an interesting trip, with both good and bad and I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING! All 12 wonderful, hard days. You can follow along again by clicking the links. It was fun to look back, won't you please join me...
Our First Day
The Trouble Begins
Out and About
Still No News
I'm Coming Home
We're Home

3 comments:

Robyn said...

Happy Anniversary!! The time goes by so fast!!

Mama Bear said...

Happy anniversary. Wow Tina, I had no idea all the hassles you had with getting the visa. Thanks for sharing and I am so glad everyone was able to make it home quickly and so glad they were able to get you an exception for her visa.
Rhonda

Kim & Dave said...

I still can't believe all that mess!!!

I am so glad she has ajusted so well-after the trouble Natty had, I understand the heartbreak of a baby that won't attach. So hard for the mommy to watch!

Anyway-I am so thankful to see how far she's come! & what a cutie!!